Entertainment center makeover


I mentioned before that we have been tackling several projects..
one of them was our old entertainment center.

Loved it.. but it was obviously made for the old, big, crazy HEAVY,
televisions that weigh about a thousand pounds.
This piece of furniture was definintely outdated,
but still beautiful.

So I decided to make it work. (with some work..)

I will just start off with the before/after photo..




So I decided we could cut this thing down and make it more user friendly
for a flat screen.  How hard could it be? :0) uh hmm..


Plus I really wanted to keep the glass door if possible, so with some careful
measuring and leaving a little extra room for error.. I have learned to do that.
my husband and I went to work.

We took it outside, got our measurements copied onto the piece of
furniture and the cutting began.



Oh the cutting.  This part was definitely more time consuming than 
we thought..    Leaving room for error is a good thing. :0)

We dry fit the top, sanded down the area's that needed it, and drilled holes for dowels
to place the top back on with.  Some gorilla glue later and we had it drying with
stacks of books, and my kitchen aid mixer on top.. ( that'll weigh it down.. ha)




To disclose the little bit of ugly result we got.. we did still have the obvious
cut line about 3/4 of an inch from the top where it was cut to deal with,
we simply couldn't cut it any closer to the top with the tools we had and the
way it was put together we didn't think ripping it apart was a good option.
The cut line could be fixed several ways.. wood filler/stain (which is what the front
edge is getting) and so on but I wasn't sure I would like the result of that on the sides.
Since we had a section of backing left from cutting the back down
to fit, and it was stained to match I just cut some 1" strips to cover it up.

For now it works for me, and really isn't that noticeable in person as it blends
 in quite nicely.  Who knows, I may find some decorative trim I like better,
or I may simply give it an entire new look with some chalk paint and glaze
before I call this piece completed. :0)


 


Overall we took off just a little over 12" off the height of this piece.
We could've easily taken more but I really wanted to keep the glass door.
and I just love how it turned out..












linking up at:

Inspire Me Tuesday

TDC Before and After






No comments

Thank you for taking the time to comment.
All comments are moderated, and may take a few moments to appear.
(I will remove comments that are inappropriate, malicious, or spam like)